Whether you’re hosting or dining, follow these party-time guidelines to enjoy the festivities while avoiding extra pounds:
- For pre-dinner snacks, serve fresh fruit and veggies instead of chips and dips Use 1/3 less fat (mayo, oils, dressing, etc.) and 1/3 less salt than usual in savory dishes.
- In sweet dishes, apple sauce, sour cream or yogurt are often good substitutes for oil, butter or shortening. As much as your budget allows, buy the leanest cuts of meats, raised without antibiotics or hormones.
- Serve some meat grilled but not sauced
- Fill ½ your plate with salad or healthy greens
- On the other half, add a taste of everything else (a child’s fist-size of potato salad; meat the size of a deck of cards)
- Swap water for sugary drinks like soda, lemonade and ice tea
- Drink alcohol sparingly (a serving or two)