Hearty Winter Grain Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 55 minutes Yields: 6 people
1 cup kamut or wheat berries (or 1/2 cup of each)
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
1/2 boiled yam, diced
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash grains.
2. Bring stock to boil and add grains and salt.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes or until grains are cooked and water is absorbed.
4. Fluff with a fork and let sit covered for 10 minutes. While the grains are cooking, prepare other ingredients.
5. Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, about 7 minutes.
6. Blanch kale.
7. Transfer grains to a large bowl; add onion, yam, walnuts and kale.
8. Mix well. Add vinegar and olive oil to your taste.