Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Yields: 8 people
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh pineapple juice
2 tsp minced orange zest
1/8 tsp cinnamon
12 oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup honey
1. Bring orange juice, most of the zest and cinnamon to a boil on high heat in a medium saucepan.
2. Rinse cranberries and add to boiling liquid. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Cranberries should burst open.
3. Stir in crushed pineapple and honey. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. (Optional) Pour a cup at a time into a mesh strainer and, using the back of a spoon, mash to push liquid and pulp through strainer.
5. Discard whatever doesn't go through strainer 6. Garnish and chill strained sauce for at least 1 hour.
Notes: This is not nearly as sweet as sugar-sweetened or canned, of course, but the zest and cinnamon lend it texture and complexity.You can serve with whole cranberries or strained for a more applesauce-like effect.