Creamy Broccoli Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Yields: 4 people
1 bunch broccoli
2 cups water
3 cups chicken stock (or broth)
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1. Wash broccoli and separate stems from florets.
2. In a large pot, bring water and stock to a boil. Add broccoli stems, onion and garlic.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove 2 cups of liquid from pot and dissolve miso paste in the liquid, return to pot.5. Add brown rice.
6. Use an immersion blender to cream the soup, or scoop in batches into a blender until all is smooth.
7. Return soup to pot, stir in broccoli florets, salt and pepper and cook 10 more minutes.
Notes: This hearty non-dairy soup gets its "creaminess" from the rice.