Curried Corn & Shrimp Chowder
Prep Time: 20 minutes Prep Notes: Save time by using frozen corn.
Cooking Time: 35 minutes Yields: 6 people
6 ears of corn or 3 cups frozen
1 onion diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
6 springs of fresh thyme -- stalks removed, or 1 tbs dried
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs butter
1 tbs curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbs flour (optional)*
6 cups chicken stock
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 medium yam or sweet potato, diced
1/4 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 pound peeled and deveined large or jumbo shrimp
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup low-fat milk (optional)**
1. Cut kernels from cobs and set aside
2. Heat butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot.
3. Add onion, garlic and carrots and thyme. Cook about 5 minutes, until veggies are soft.
4. Stir in curry powder, ginger and flour. Cook 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil.6. Add potatoes and season with salt and ground pepper. Simmer 15 minutes.
7. Scoop out about 1/2 of potatoes and about 1/4 of broth into a blender. Puree until smooth.8. Return pureed soup to pot, add corn and red bell pepper, and simmer about 10 minutes.
8. Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in shallow pan, saute shrimp until cooked through. Add salt and pepper. Add cooked shrimp to soup and stir, adding more salt and pepper to taste.
9. Add milk and simmer another 5 minutes, then turn off heat.
Notes: Worth the effort! I love the earthiness and medley of colors in this hearty dish. The sweet potato adds a layer of sweetness, and the ginger a pungent layer of complexity. -- For a nutrient boost, pour over a handful of baby spinach.-- For a bit more kick, add a dash of red pepper flakes.* Withhold flour for gluten-free soup.**Withhold milk or use rice or soy milk for dairy-free soup.Blending some of the potatoes gives the dish some of the creaminess that would otherwise come from flour and dairy.