Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 55 minutes Yields: 10 people
3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour already contains it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups light agave
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small or 1 1/2 large)
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature, beaten
1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 ounces chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease 2 standard loaf pans and set them aside.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, agave, and whisk to combine. Set aside the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate small bowl, add the zucchini, eggs, banana, oil and vanilla, and mix to combine well.
4. Create a well in the center of the bowl of dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix to combine. The batter will be very wet.
5. Add cornstarch. If adding walnuts (and chocolate chips), toss with the cornstarch first. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the batter, and mix until the walnuts are evenly distributed throughout the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans, and smooth the tops slightly.
6. Place the pans in the center of the preheated oven, and bake, rotating once, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean (about 55 minutes).
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes in the pans. Remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Slice and serve. Wrap leftovers tightly in freezer-safe wrap and freeze until ready to use.
Notes: Walnuts give this moist, rich, wheat-free bread texture and crunch. Add a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips (pictured) and this becomes dessert.Gluten-free can be an acquired taste, but you don't have to acquire a taste for this satisfying bread!