Miso Glazed Cod
Prep Time: 10 minutes Prep Notes: Add 1 day for marinating Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 people
1 cup miso paste white (see notes)
1 cup mirin or sherry wine (see notes)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 cup green onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper 8 6-ounce pieces of cod (or other meaty fish)
1. Mix miso paste, wine, honey, sugar, ginger, onion and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Pour miso mixture to cover bottom of large glass or plastic storage bowl. Add layers of fish and top each with miso mixture. Seal bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
3. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a large, shallow baking pan.
4. Place fish on pan. Spoon a bit of sauce over each piece.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, until fish is flaky.
6. Turn oven to broil and broil another 5 minutes until lightly brown.
Notes: You can find miso paste and mirin (Japanese cooking wine) at your local Asian market, or in many whole food stores. In a pinch, you can substitute sherry or even white wine for mirin. This marinade draws the moisture out of the fish. When storing, pack fish tightly in a sealable dish. Serve with stir-fried veggies, or simple greens and grain. This one is worth the 24-hour wait!
Credit: Adapted from Paul Somerset, executive chef, Goddard College Vt. campus