Tortilla Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Yields: 6 people
6 corn tortillas
Olive oil spray
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 ½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/4 cup red peppers
1/4 cup green peppers
1/2 cup corn kernels
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 jalapeño seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
½ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut tortillas in half and then into ¼ inch strips. Place on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake about 10 minutes, turning half way through.
4. In a large bowl combine lettuce, quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, red onion, peppers, corn and avocado.
5. Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a food processor or blender and processing until smooth.
6. Toss salad with desired amount of dressing and top with tortillas strips.
Notes: If making the salad ahead, wait to toss until right before serving. Also either wait to add the avocado or sprinkle the avocado with lime juice to prevent browning. In a pinch, instead of preparing the tortilla strips, I use gluten-free tortilla chips.